Questions to ask at an undergraduate open day
For prospective students, a college or university open day is a great chance to visit before applying. Open days are crucial as they allow you to experience a university, rather than basing your decision on the glossy pictures in a prospectus. During your visit, you will get the chance to visit student accommodation, explore the university grounds and speak to professors, but most importantly it is the ideal opportunity to ask any questions. By asking current students about their experiences, it will provide an accurate and realistic representation of university life, rather than the university advertising themselves. To make sure you don’t forget anything, theunipod has compiled a list of the top questions to ask at an undergraduate open day.
- Is the university ‘campus – based’?
- How far is the campus from the city centre?
- Are there accessible transport links around the campus? (to the city centre or your accommodation)
- What societies and clubs are available?
- How would you rate the social life?
- Approximately, what is the annual cost of being a student?
- How often do you hold open days?
- What services does the careers department provide?
- Is there a Students’ Union?
- Will I be guaranteed a place in the university accommodation for first year?
- Does the accommodation have en – suite facilities?
- What are the different types of accommodation available and where are they located?
- What communal areas are available in the accommodation?
- Will I get my first choice?
- Can I room share?
- Are there parking facilities near the student accommodation?
- How safe is it? What security is in place?Do I have to move in and out of my accommodation at the end of term?
- How is my course assessed?
- What modules are available on my course?
- How much contact will I have with my personal tutors each term?
- Can I change my course once I’ve started?
- How many hours of lectures/seminars will I have per week?
- How many students are in each tutor group?
- Can I apply for a year abroad/Erasmus?
- How do I select placements? (if part of course criteria)
- What career do the majority of graduates from my course enter?
- How much money will I need per year at university? Fees, living, etc
- Are there cheap student offers? - nights out, meals etc
- Can I apply for a bursary/sponsorship? If so, how?
- How do I apply for a grant?
- What are the tuition fees? Do they vary by far? Are they likely to change?
- If I run out of money, does the university provide financial assistance?
- Do many students have part time jobs at university? Are there opportunities on campus?
Application and Exam Results
- Will I have an interview?
- What is essential for a good personal statement?
- Are gap years seen positively or negatively?
- If I apply early, will that give me an advantage?
- Does my course require interviews?
- What happens if I do not achieve my entry requirements?
- Can I defer my entry?
- Can I reapply next year to the same course if I do not achieve the entry requirements this year?
And before you go, be sure to check out our university course search which will give you a good grounding on the above questions ahead of your open day.